Skip to main content

Event Report - Army Up!

With the long weekend and sudden cold snap our numbers were pretty low, but we still had an interesting mix of army decks in play tonight. We had some Damn Nazis, Random Punks, Manhunters, Multiple Men, Doom/Sentinels and Purifiers.

After four rounds of play no player had an undefeated record. In the end Roy's Multiple Men took first place, followed by Will's Random Punks and Sebastien's Damn Nazis. Collin's Manhunters were fourth, I took fifth place and Harry rounded out the six.

I think everyone had a good time and I had some of the MEQ cards to give out as prizes, which were well received. The themed deck-building events have been really well received and I intend to continue doing them to keep things as interesting as possible for all.

This was actually the second event I have played my Purifier deck in. It's not ultra competitive, but when it fires it is a lot of fun to play. I don't have a lot of experience with army decks which makes this one all the more interesting to me. It's as finished as it's likely to get, so I might as well post up the list here.
Characters:
23x MEV-233 The Purifiers (1)
4x MEV-231 Matthew Risman (1)
4x MEV-234 William Stryker (2)
4x MEV-230 Lady Deathstrike (3)
2x MEV-232 Nimrod (4)
2x MEV-229 Bastion (5)

Locations:
4x DCL-245 Birthing Chamber

Plot Twists:
3x MUN-312 Invasion Plans
4x MUN-321 Rogue Squadron
4x MTU-204 Poker Night
4x MEV-275 X-Babies Attack
4x MEV-272 Graduating Class
4x MEV-235 Purified

For some reason the 66 card total just seemed to be right for this deck. It could be made totally modern by pulling out the Poker Nights, and down to 60 cards by pulling 2 copies of the Purifiers. The extra card draw and reinforcement tricks granted by Poker Night make it that much more effective. I found Purified to be a dead card more often than not, as the times it could be used are infrequent, and highly situational. The deck is pretty easy to play and has some good tricks, if not surprising given the 1/3 mix of Purifiers in it. I won't be dismantling this one anytime soon.

Thanks for coming out to play everyone. We'll be playing again next week, and then returning to our alternating Friday schedule after that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
aww man MEQ? would have been there if i didn't have a huge project to finish for tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

Marvel Universe Miniatures Game - Avengers Painted

Shortly before the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game was released by Knight Models I picked up several single pack figures at a slight discount. The game dropped shortly after, but has so far seemed difficult to acquire in Canada. I'm hoping once I get out an do a few demos it will pick up locally like the Batman game has started to do. This is the original model for Black Widow, which I prefer greatly over the highly sexualized one that comes in the Avengers starter box. Don't get me wrong, she's a sexy character but I think the new sculpt is a little over the top. She was the first Marvel figure I painted. It a pretty easy paint job and I think she turned out well. This figure proved more difficult to paint than I expected. It's a great looking pose, but I wish the details on the shield were a little deeper. I'm not the greatest when it comes to steady detail work, so found doing the stripes on the shield highly frustrating. A wash or two would usually b...

Next week's ban list

Well the deadline has passed and here's the ban-list that was submitted: - Deadpool, Party Pooper - Flying Kick - Goblin Glider - Mobilize - Warp Shards - Weapon Plus Sattelite - X-Men Assemble If a card has been printed in more than one set consider ALL versions of it to be banned for the night. It looks like most of us aren't alone in thinking that the newer sets have some of the more frustrating cards to play against. :) Go to work gentlemen!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 28mm

I have to start off by saying that this might be the nerdiest post I've written to date, and that's sayin' something! The amount of fun I've had working on these, and thinking about what kind of games or scenarios I could play with them has been pretty ridiculous. I'll admit that I fully intended to have these completed before end of the year...that obviously didn't happen. There are a few options out there for figures, but they are either the wrong scale, too damned expensive of just don't capture the feel I was looking for; and then I found this! The TMNT Foot Clan Street Fight  board game was on sale for $12. After I liberated the figures out of the copy I bought, I made some cardboard standees so that I could still play the game with my nephews. It was a big hit during our Christmas holiday too! Now about those figures...on the down side the plastic is pretty soft. The paint work is passable for a mass produced product, but (accurate to the cur...