Skip to main content

Apparently I suck at drafting

In my defense however, I have only done it once (the details of this post being that once). While in Vancouver over the weekend I stopped in at Pow! Comix and was able to join some local players for a draft tournament using World's Finest.

I can't recall all of the details for each pack we opened, but for some reason I decided that Outsiders would be my main team at the start. I was easily able to get my character curve and two copies of Markovia, but it didn't dawn on me until mid-way through the second pack that I hadn't seen any attack pumps that I could use. From there on out I tried to keep an eye open for one, but I think by then it was too late.

We played three rounds. My first game was the best, as I had a strong early game...but lack of good ATK/DEF pumps really slowed me down and I just wasn't able to survive. My defeat in the first round spelled a bye in the second. I watched both matches and was impressed with the decks the other players had created. Draft definitely seems to be an art form all of its own.

The third match had me up against a really strong Team Superman deck. I drew poorly, only seeing two plot twists by the sixth round. Even had I pulled more I doubt that I'd have been able to compete against that deck.

Thanks to all the players for making me feel welcome and hooking me up with a few trades I was looking for. It was greatly appreciated.

Comments

IcemanUFS said…
When do you want to try drafting this weekend. I know my UFS players drafted on Sunday and they had a blast. The winner had first picks of the rares.

Popular posts from this blog

Marvel Universe Miniatures Game - Avengers Painted

Shortly before the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game was released by Knight Models I picked up several single pack figures at a slight discount. The game dropped shortly after, but has so far seemed difficult to acquire in Canada. I'm hoping once I get out an do a few demos it will pick up locally like the Batman game has started to do. This is the original model for Black Widow, which I prefer greatly over the highly sexualized one that comes in the Avengers starter box. Don't get me wrong, she's a sexy character but I think the new sculpt is a little over the top. She was the first Marvel figure I painted. It a pretty easy paint job and I think she turned out well. This figure proved more difficult to paint than I expected. It's a great looking pose, but I wish the details on the shield were a little deeper. I'm not the greatest when it comes to steady detail work, so found doing the stripes on the shield highly frustrating. A wash or two would usually b...

Next week's ban list

Well the deadline has passed and here's the ban-list that was submitted: - Deadpool, Party Pooper - Flying Kick - Goblin Glider - Mobilize - Warp Shards - Weapon Plus Sattelite - X-Men Assemble If a card has been printed in more than one set consider ALL versions of it to be banned for the night. It looks like most of us aren't alone in thinking that the newer sets have some of the more frustrating cards to play against. :) Go to work gentlemen!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 28mm

I have to start off by saying that this might be the nerdiest post I've written to date, and that's sayin' something! The amount of fun I've had working on these, and thinking about what kind of games or scenarios I could play with them has been pretty ridiculous. I'll admit that I fully intended to have these completed before end of the year...that obviously didn't happen. There are a few options out there for figures, but they are either the wrong scale, too damned expensive of just don't capture the feel I was looking for; and then I found this! The TMNT Foot Clan Street Fight  board game was on sale for $12. After I liberated the figures out of the copy I bought, I made some cardboard standees so that I could still play the game with my nephews. It was a big hit during our Christmas holiday too! Now about those figures...on the down side the plastic is pretty soft. The paint work is passable for a mass produced product, but (accurate to the cur...