Skip to main content

Two Strange Aeons Games

I've been meaning to post on these two games for a while, but my desire to upload and link pictures and full reports is rather low. Hence, I'll make this post pretty short.

A few weeks back Brandon, Sebastien and I played a three-player game using one of the search scenarios.  Seb played a 43-point Lurker list Brandon and I put together for him, and we teamed up against it. If I recall there were two mummies, a few cultists, two maniacs and a big scary monster. I want to say Winged Nightmare, but it was a less terrifying winged creature.

We set up a really large board, which in retrospect was to the Threshold's disadvantage. They were to search each of the six areas of the board in order to find some kind of treasure, with the possibility of it being a trap. The first two areas searched by Brandon's team availed us nothing, whereas the second area searched by my team resulted in a nasty poison bite taking the searcher off the table.

Brandon valiantly drew the attention of both maniacs and the big creature.  He was able to take them all down, but at the cost of his entire team being taken down in the process. That left me with the two mummies and a batch of cultists. I took some losses to but was unable to recover the treasure, having to settle instead for killing the rest of the Lurkers.

The toll was high, as Brandon's list disbanded after the death of his character. Mine fared a little better, but my character ended up crippled and has only a single action to spend each round. I was able to recover some scrolls and a map piece, but couldn't even share the spoils with Brandon's team due to their disbanding.

I have a feeling that my team is in dire straights now as well, and their next encounter may be their last. Whenever they're called into action again I think I'll attempt to recruit a special agent to bolster their ranks, and hope that I can score a victory and be able to translate some scrolls. Perhaps a little magic becoming available to my crew can help them survive a little bit longer.

The following week Sebastien and I tried out one of the lovely new boards they've acquired for the shop. He decided to give his earlier list another go (since I killed it on its first outing last time). I wanted a chance to try out some more magical characters and opted for a witch with two extra familiars, and a restless spirit. The ghost was far more useful than I'd anticipated, being able to cause some fear as the Threshold tried to cross the river.

My rolls with the familiars and the witch were almost universally awful though. The only successful spell I was able to cast transported the Threshold leader to the far corner of the board. He shrugged off the possibly-debilitating mental effects and strode bravely back into the fray. Once I'd lost two of my three familiars things were looking bad. With the witch dying shortly thereafter I conceded defeat.

I enjoyed playing with some of the magic spells and think they were quite a bit of fun. The witch profile needs some ranged support though, and I doubt that I'd take extra familiars again in the future. Some cultists would have been far better use of those four points. Perhaps some equipment or maybe an extra spell or two for her instead...

Comments

Some nice little batreps. Everything is a learning curve. Its the same for me with my NMRIH campaign i'm trying to start. look forward to more.
Obsidian3D said…
I've been watching your factions come together as you're working on them for EotD. I've got my vampires and werewolves ready for priming, which will hopefully happen over the weekend.
10x28mm said…
Yet to paint and/or field my Strange Aeons forces... Cyberpunk RPG is taking up most of my time (that isn't already devoured by life). I'll try to focus on getting some modern factions done to at least play a bit.
Speaking of modern - I got some pics of those Megabloks Need For Speed cars I was telling you about, and a few others, over at my blog
Obsidian3D said…
Cool I'll add it to my reading list and have a look.

What figures did you end up with for Strange Aeons?
10x28mm said…
I'll try making this a complete thought this time...
I picked up a Gug from Chronoscope, Artizan cultists I & II as well as Copplestone gun molls, beat cops, hired hitmen and tommy gunners - for period play.  I have some EM4 suits and cops that are more likely to be painted soon so I will probably field them as a kind of Delta Green vs. Majestic 12 thing - maybe get my Copplestone greys in there...

Popular posts from this blog

Marvel Universe Miniatures Game - Avengers Painted

Shortly before the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game was released by Knight Models I picked up several single pack figures at a slight discount. The game dropped shortly after, but has so far seemed difficult to acquire in Canada. I'm hoping once I get out an do a few demos it will pick up locally like the Batman game has started to do. This is the original model for Black Widow, which I prefer greatly over the highly sexualized one that comes in the Avengers starter box. Don't get me wrong, she's a sexy character but I think the new sculpt is a little over the top. She was the first Marvel figure I painted. It a pretty easy paint job and I think she turned out well. This figure proved more difficult to paint than I expected. It's a great looking pose, but I wish the details on the shield were a little deeper. I'm not the greatest when it comes to steady detail work, so found doing the stripes on the shield highly frustrating. A wash or two would usually b...

Next week's ban list

Well the deadline has passed and here's the ban-list that was submitted: - Deadpool, Party Pooper - Flying Kick - Goblin Glider - Mobilize - Warp Shards - Weapon Plus Sattelite - X-Men Assemble If a card has been printed in more than one set consider ALL versions of it to be banned for the night. It looks like most of us aren't alone in thinking that the newer sets have some of the more frustrating cards to play against. :) Go to work gentlemen!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 28mm

I have to start off by saying that this might be the nerdiest post I've written to date, and that's sayin' something! The amount of fun I've had working on these, and thinking about what kind of games or scenarios I could play with them has been pretty ridiculous. I'll admit that I fully intended to have these completed before end of the year...that obviously didn't happen. There are a few options out there for figures, but they are either the wrong scale, too damned expensive of just don't capture the feel I was looking for; and then I found this! The TMNT Foot Clan Street Fight  board game was on sale for $12. After I liberated the figures out of the copy I bought, I made some cardboard standees so that I could still play the game with my nephews. It was a big hit during our Christmas holiday too! Now about those figures...on the down side the plastic is pretty soft. The paint work is passable for a mass produced product, but (accurate to the cur...