Skip to main content

Original Alpha Flight Nears Completion


This is a project years in the making. Back when I started on these Heroclix repaints only one version of each character existed. Since them some newer versions have appeared. Some, like the new Sasquatch, were amazing. Others, like the new Puck and Shaman, were awful. The rest were somewhere in between.

I have already done an Aurora figure. When I tried to do the same for Northstar I ran into troubles with the material. They were sculpted in mirroring poses, but sculpted with different costumes. I tried to remove the wrist bands, but due to the rubbery nature of the material I wasn't able to do so. He ended up becoming a custom character named Zyklon, who has paired up with Kriegshunde to battle the Exiles on at least one occasion.

New versions of the twins were released in the Guardians set, again sporting mirrored poses. (Looking a little too much like the Wonder Twins for my taste, but whatever.) I rebased them and did some quick touch-ups.

The skin got a light coat of GW Sepia wash. The white was touched up with GW Skull White with no shading. The black parts of their costumes were touched up with P3 Thamar Black and then dry brushed with P3 Coal Black to give it a little bit of depth.



I'm tempted to go back and try doing another version of Northstar using the original figure sculpt, simply because I like that model a lot better. In the meantime I've just got to finish Vindicator and Talisman up to finish the team. Once they're done I'll post a few shots of the full group of figures. The it'll be on to a version of "The Master" and some form of Omega Flight.

Comments

Obsidian3D said…
Haha thanks 'eh'!

Popular posts from this blog

Marvel Universe Miniatures Game - Avengers Painted

Shortly before the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game was released by Knight Models I picked up several single pack figures at a slight discount. The game dropped shortly after, but has so far seemed difficult to acquire in Canada. I'm hoping once I get out an do a few demos it will pick up locally like the Batman game has started to do. This is the original model for Black Widow, which I prefer greatly over the highly sexualized one that comes in the Avengers starter box. Don't get me wrong, she's a sexy character but I think the new sculpt is a little over the top. She was the first Marvel figure I painted. It a pretty easy paint job and I think she turned out well. This figure proved more difficult to paint than I expected. It's a great looking pose, but I wish the details on the shield were a little deeper. I'm not the greatest when it comes to steady detail work, so found doing the stripes on the shield highly frustrating. A wash or two would usually b...

Next week's ban list

Well the deadline has passed and here's the ban-list that was submitted: - Deadpool, Party Pooper - Flying Kick - Goblin Glider - Mobilize - Warp Shards - Weapon Plus Sattelite - X-Men Assemble If a card has been printed in more than one set consider ALL versions of it to be banned for the night. It looks like most of us aren't alone in thinking that the newer sets have some of the more frustrating cards to play against. :) Go to work gentlemen!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 28mm

I have to start off by saying that this might be the nerdiest post I've written to date, and that's sayin' something! The amount of fun I've had working on these, and thinking about what kind of games or scenarios I could play with them has been pretty ridiculous. I'll admit that I fully intended to have these completed before end of the year...that obviously didn't happen. There are a few options out there for figures, but they are either the wrong scale, too damned expensive of just don't capture the feel I was looking for; and then I found this! The TMNT Foot Clan Street Fight  board game was on sale for $12. After I liberated the figures out of the copy I bought, I made some cardboard standees so that I could still play the game with my nephews. It was a big hit during our Christmas holiday too! Now about those figures...on the down side the plastic is pretty soft. The paint work is passable for a mass produced product, but (accurate to the cur...