Skip to main content

Supers Unlimited - Shadow Axis villains

Following on from my large build project, I picked 5 figures from the batch to paint. I ended up selecting enough to do an 8 Level team of "Shadow Axis" villains for Pulp City.

Immolator, Big Brain, Blackthorn, Alpha Male and Mayhem.

The casts required very minimal cleanup, with all of these being a single piece. Simply glue them down to the base and primed white.

As with a lot of my painting lately they were done with a combination of Army Painter speedpaints and traditional paints and washes, depending on the figure and my mood while doing the model. Alpha Male, Immolator and Mayhem were particularly fun to do as they provided an opportunity to try out some really different skin tones.

According to his game card, Blackthorn is able to create trees that get placed on the table. I found two spooky trees and a stump in my "Haunted Manor" box from Mantic Games. They were a touch too big to put on 30mm bases and I don't think they' have looked very good. Since I'll likely only ever play Pulp City against myself, I think I'll be fine with it.

This past week I also unearthed all of my Pulp City game cards and unbuilt models collected over the years. I'm really looking forward to painting more of these minis. They're so vibrant and characterful, they make great small projects after something larger, or are nice to do even as single figures to get something done start to finish in a single session or two!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvel Universe Miniatures Game - Avengers Painted

Shortly before the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game was released by Knight Models I picked up several single pack figures at a slight discount. The game dropped shortly after, but has so far seemed difficult to acquire in Canada. I'm hoping once I get out an do a few demos it will pick up locally like the Batman game has started to do. This is the original model for Black Widow, which I prefer greatly over the highly sexualized one that comes in the Avengers starter box. Don't get me wrong, she's a sexy character but I think the new sculpt is a little over the top. She was the first Marvel figure I painted. It a pretty easy paint job and I think she turned out well. This figure proved more difficult to paint than I expected. It's a great looking pose, but I wish the details on the shield were a little deeper. I'm not the greatest when it comes to steady detail work, so found doing the stripes on the shield highly frustrating. A wash or two would usually b...

Next week's ban list

Well the deadline has passed and here's the ban-list that was submitted: - Deadpool, Party Pooper - Flying Kick - Goblin Glider - Mobilize - Warp Shards - Weapon Plus Sattelite - X-Men Assemble If a card has been printed in more than one set consider ALL versions of it to be banned for the night. It looks like most of us aren't alone in thinking that the newer sets have some of the more frustrating cards to play against. :) Go to work gentlemen!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 28mm

I have to start off by saying that this might be the nerdiest post I've written to date, and that's sayin' something! The amount of fun I've had working on these, and thinking about what kind of games or scenarios I could play with them has been pretty ridiculous. I'll admit that I fully intended to have these completed before end of the year...that obviously didn't happen. There are a few options out there for figures, but they are either the wrong scale, too damned expensive of just don't capture the feel I was looking for; and then I found this! The TMNT Foot Clan Street Fight  board game was on sale for $12. After I liberated the figures out of the copy I bought, I made some cardboard standees so that I could still play the game with my nephews. It was a big hit during our Christmas holiday too! Now about those figures...on the down side the plastic is pretty soft. The paint work is passable for a mass produced product, but (accurate to the cur...