Skip to main content

Dreadball League Thoughts: Two Full Rounds In The Books

Starting in mid-January I organized a small Dreadball league to try out the rules. I decided to try the rules exactly as they're written, since making changes to them didn't seem to make sense without having  at least tried them first.

Initially I had six players signed up including myself. We lost one player early on because she decided the game just wasn't for her. Due to that, I decided to play an additional team so that the Corporation humans wouldn't go unrepresented and we would have an even number, so as not to leave one team with a bye each round.

One of our players still needs to pay his league fees, and another isn't available every Sunday but otherwise things seem to be proceeding fairly well. If there's enough interest in running another league I will likely have to stipulate that players should be willing and able to play on league days. Of course life will get in the way occasionally, but that should be the exception rather than the norm.

A few of the teams have played additional exhibition games as per the rules and those have been helpful in acquiring additional cash and experience, especially if the team is coming off of a particularly nasty defeat in a league match. Now that the second round of play has closed our standings are as follows:

Team Name Value League Points Games Played Wins Losses
Brett's Bruisers 157 4 2 2 0
Avion Yellowhawks 116 4 2 2 0
Funky Fathers 111 2 2 1 1
Royal Eternian Rams 111 5 3 2 1
Snake Mountain Smashers 106 3 4 0 4
Seb's Veer-myn 83 4 3 1 2

With the challenge system in place I do see the possibility that teams won't be required to play each other team, which isn't exactly ideal. It works out nicely in that players can modify their challenges to suit so that they can play their league match right away, but can lead to some repeat match ups and less variety. With a small league like this it might have simply made more sense to create pre-set pairings instead so that everyone played against each other team once.

However, the benefits to the challenge system does become apparent when you're dealing with large gaps in the team values. For example having the Veer-myn play against the Bruisers using the above examples could be disastrous, unless the Underdog bonus were spent acquiring both MVPs and free agents, and plenty of them. In fact, with the pairings set for Round 3, a few of the match-ups will indeed provide large amounts of underdog cash. That's going to provide some interesting drama.

Round 3 Pairings

- Veer-myn vs. Yellowhawks: 33mc underdog bonus to Veer-myn
- Smashers vs. Funky Fathers: 5mc underdog bonus to Smashers
- Rams vs. Bruisers: 46mc underdog bonus ro Rams

With the high amounts of underdog cash going out to the Veer-myn and Rams it's likely that they'll each end up with one of the available MVPs as well as having monies to spend on free agents. Additionally, it is possible that the prices for the MVPs will be driven up high enough that teams won't be able to afford them at the start of round 4. At this point of course, it's entirely speculation.

The final thought I have at this point is how to handle the championship match. I don't know that it makes sense to just pair off the two teams with the highest values. The options I am considering are:

- highest value vs. second highest value
- highest value vs. most wins
- highest value vs. best win percentage
- highest value vs. most league points
- best win percentage vs. second best win percentage
- most league points vs. second most league points
- most wins vs. second most wins

In retrospect I should have chosen this prior to starting the league, but I didn't realize that I would have so many different possibilities. I'd like to choose something before round 3 begins, so that players have three more league matches (plus any exhibition ones they wish to play) before the championship match.

What do you feel would be the most fair way of choosing the two finalists for the first Trilogy Cup?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvel Universe Miniatures Game - Avengers Painted

Shortly before the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game was released by Knight Models I picked up several single pack figures at a slight discount. The game dropped shortly after, but has so far seemed difficult to acquire in Canada. I'm hoping once I get out an do a few demos it will pick up locally like the Batman game has started to do. This is the original model for Black Widow, which I prefer greatly over the highly sexualized one that comes in the Avengers starter box. Don't get me wrong, she's a sexy character but I think the new sculpt is a little over the top. She was the first Marvel figure I painted. It a pretty easy paint job and I think she turned out well. This figure proved more difficult to paint than I expected. It's a great looking pose, but I wish the details on the shield were a little deeper. I'm not the greatest when it comes to steady detail work, so found doing the stripes on the shield highly frustrating. A wash or two would usually b...

Farewell Ozzy!

This afternoon I found out that the Prince of Darkness, Ozzy Osbourne, has passed away. Although I've been a fan since my early teens, I am surprised at how strong my reaction to the news has been. I had missed out on catching the Black Sabbath farewell show a few weeks back during live stream, so I've not yet seen it. A friend of mine told me about a few days after, and I'm looking forward to watching it when it becomes available. I've had the good fortune of seeing Ozzy perform twice; once at an outdoor stadium show with Zakk Wylde on guitar, and once with Black Sabbath several years later. I remember more about the experience of those shows than the specific details, and could not tell you set lists or anything like that. His impact on music and pop culture, both as a member of Black Sabbath and a solo artist simply cannot be understated. As impactful and important as that is, it also hits me that his children have lost their father, which happened to me at the end o...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 28mm

I have to start off by saying that this might be the nerdiest post I've written to date, and that's sayin' something! The amount of fun I've had working on these, and thinking about what kind of games or scenarios I could play with them has been pretty ridiculous. I'll admit that I fully intended to have these completed before end of the year...that obviously didn't happen. There are a few options out there for figures, but they are either the wrong scale, too damned expensive of just don't capture the feel I was looking for; and then I found this! The TMNT Foot Clan Street Fight  board game was on sale for $12. After I liberated the figures out of the copy I bought, I made some cardboard standees so that I could still play the game with my nephews. It was a big hit during our Christmas holiday too! Now about those figures...on the down side the plastic is pretty soft. The paint work is passable for a mass produced product, but (accurate to the cur...