Skip to main content

Happy Holidays Everyone!

It's been an interesting year. Everyone seems to be a little busier with family, work, home building and in general life taking its course. Our gaming group has gotten a little smaller over the course of the year too, which is naturally a little disappointing. As games are a form of entertainment they are usually among the first activities to get hit when schedules or budgets get a little tight. Of course, the Christmas season these kinds of changes are even more pronounced. There are family obligations, work deadlines, company parties, shopping to be done and all that other fun (and sometimes exhausting) stuff needs to get done.

As for my gaming habits, they have changed a little bit too. I've tried some great new games this year! Ascension, Warlord, Touch of Evil, EVE Second Genesis and yes, even Magic the Gathering have all been added to my realm of interests. A few games haven't gotten the attention I'd like, most notably being Call of Cthulhu.

We did try running a CoC league for a few months and while the game was generally well received, I just couldn't seem to draw in players for the long term. I still love the game and support it as best I can, but finding people to play and time to play is always a challenge.

For VS System our group is still going, and hope to make the Marvel Factions set legal for play early in January. It's a fantastic game with a ton of depth and a wealth of cards. The players (and I too) still love it and I'll keep organizing tournaments until I'm the only person showing up for them.

With Warlord, I'm officially a Knight of the Ordo as of early December. All that really means is that I've made a donation to the company that produces the game. Phoenix Interactive is a very small company and they work very hard to keep Warlord around. In addition to my newly-minted knighthood I'll be doing some demos of Warlord and hopefully putting together a small game night ever other week, complete with prize support.

So whether you've been able to get out for a game, or plan to recently...this is me wishing everyone who drops by my blog a happy winter holiday, whatever that may be to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvel Universe Miniatures Game - Avengers Painted

Shortly before the Marvel Universe Miniatures Game was released by Knight Models I picked up several single pack figures at a slight discount. The game dropped shortly after, but has so far seemed difficult to acquire in Canada. I'm hoping once I get out an do a few demos it will pick up locally like the Batman game has started to do. This is the original model for Black Widow, which I prefer greatly over the highly sexualized one that comes in the Avengers starter box. Don't get me wrong, she's a sexy character but I think the new sculpt is a little over the top. She was the first Marvel figure I painted. It a pretty easy paint job and I think she turned out well. This figure proved more difficult to paint than I expected. It's a great looking pose, but I wish the details on the shield were a little deeper. I'm not the greatest when it comes to steady detail work, so found doing the stripes on the shield highly frustrating. A wash or two would usually b...

Next week's ban list

Well the deadline has passed and here's the ban-list that was submitted: - Deadpool, Party Pooper - Flying Kick - Goblin Glider - Mobilize - Warp Shards - Weapon Plus Sattelite - X-Men Assemble If a card has been printed in more than one set consider ALL versions of it to be banned for the night. It looks like most of us aren't alone in thinking that the newer sets have some of the more frustrating cards to play against. :) Go to work gentlemen!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 28mm

I have to start off by saying that this might be the nerdiest post I've written to date, and that's sayin' something! The amount of fun I've had working on these, and thinking about what kind of games or scenarios I could play with them has been pretty ridiculous. I'll admit that I fully intended to have these completed before end of the year...that obviously didn't happen. There are a few options out there for figures, but they are either the wrong scale, too damned expensive of just don't capture the feel I was looking for; and then I found this! The TMNT Foot Clan Street Fight  board game was on sale for $12. After I liberated the figures out of the copy I bought, I made some cardboard standees so that I could still play the game with my nephews. It was a big hit during our Christmas holiday too! Now about those figures...on the down side the plastic is pretty soft. The paint work is passable for a mass produced product, but (accurate to the cur...