I had already constructed both sets of Blackgate Prisoners and my Killer Croc figure. I decided to batch paint them as I was planning on having them all wearing the same clothes. As a bit of an experiment I tried painting the prisoners' jumpsuits with my under-used airbrush, using Badger "Minitaire" Charred Stone for the main colour and going over it with a light touch of Badger Fur. Croc got the same treatment, but I also painted his skin starting with Pestilence Flesh, then Rotten Wood on his underbelly and finally some Gremlin Green on his back to brighten him up.
The primer coat on my prisoners was really grainy around the feet so some of the details below the knee are sadly obscured, but I painted them up as well as I could nonetheless. I used way more colours that I expected.
Killer Croc colours:
- Testors Gloss Yellow on the eyes
- P3 Skorne Red inside the mouth
- GW Bleached Bone and P3 Morrow White on the teeth
- AP Plate Mail Metal on all the shackles and chains
- drybrush of GW Bleached Bone and P3 Necrotite Green on the skin
- wash of AP Soft Tone over the entire model
- Testors Gloss Black on the claws
- AP Barbarian Flesh and P3 Umbral Umber for the flesh tones
- P3 Bloodtracker Brown for the straps
- P3 Jack Bone and AP Ash Grey for other clothing
- AP Plate Mail Metal for all the chains and metals
- VMC Cork Brown for backpack and big stick
- VMC Ultramarine for the bandana
- P3 Cryx Bane Base and VGC Dark Green for one of the shirts
- Washed all figures with AP Soft Tone
- Highlighted jumpsuits with P3 Greatcoat Grey and the clothing with AP Ash Grey
- Skin Highlighted with GW Elf Flesh
- Tamiya Clear Red for bloody weapons
There were a bunch of other colours used for minor touches or highlights, but I'm tired of listing them. I elected to go with grey as I don't particularly like the orange in the packaging photos, and wanted something that would sort of look at home no matter which villain crew was hiring them. It felt like they took a long time to paint, but overall I think they probably took about 90 minutes each. Recently I've been painting single figures, so doing a batch as large as this did feel time consuming!