As I've mentioned about some other figures, the sculpting isn't great, especially in the hands. However the detail is pronounced enough that it makes the models very easy to paint. They are also all one-piece sculpts which means no construction. I like figures that I don't have to put together!
The paint colours:
- 2:1 mix of GW Codex Grey and black for the clothes
- GW Elf Flesh for all of the skin
- Codex Grey for the handles of the weapons
- GW Fortress Grey for the undergarment sticking out of the jacket
- 1:3 mix of Liche Purple and Fortress Grey for the purple
- Gorthor Brown for the straps and belts
- GW Boltgun Metal for all the metal (shocking I know)
- GW Mephiston Red for the ribbons
Naturally these fellows would need a leader: The Shredder! While not an accurate representation, "Dark Avenger" figure suited the purpose well. He had some spiky bits on his armour already so I chopped up some spines from my Tyranid bits and glued them to his hands for the finishing touch. Once I painted him up to match the ninja warriors he definitely looked the part.
I did some looking around online for references for the Foot clan insignia and found two different versions. The one I remember is the actual foot print which was usually on the trooper's foreheads. The other one looks more like a stylized version of Shredder's helmet. Neither one of them really excited me, so I decided not to put the insignia on the figures at all. With the red ribbons I don't think they really miss out on anything for not having it.
I'm looking to pick up the Mantic coach figure that looks like Splinter but haven't seen one locally for a little while. I'm not sure what I'll use for April O'Neill and Casey Jones either, but I'm sure I'll find something.
Now if only I could track down the old Dark Horse 25mm TMNT figures!