June 30, 2014

Sedition Wars - Wave 2 Thoughts

Whew it's been a while since I've cracked open my box of Sedition Wars. I think the last time I set it up to play was in September back at Fallcon 2013. That's not to say it's a bad game, but I'll admit that I experienced some frustration with the original rules and the rapid number of "no this is the last and latest rules update" coming out of Studio McVey.

In fact, the folks over at the Esoteric Order of Gamers have provided a set of cards and rules summary that, in my opinion, is far superior in layout and brevity than the actual rules from the publisher. However I digress, I'm here to talk about the second wave of models sent to backers of the original Kickstarter campaign.

I've had these mostly constructed for a while now (you'll have to forgive the lack of photos today, sorry). So just what did I receive?

Firebrand:
- Vokker Dargu
- Jade Lily
- Dead Space dude and strain version

The Strain:
- bone crabs

Vanguard:
- Ramirez and strain version
- Hurley mini-bots (6 figures)
- Command team (Morgan Vade, Akosha, Barker Zosa, Kara in crazy armour suit)

Independents:
- Calamity crew (4 figures)
- Hexen and strain version
- Keegan Kor
- Ridley and strain version
- THI suit

When I received them I was happy enough, and overall I'm fine with sculpting and detail of the figures as a whole. As many others have mentioned however, the scaling on these is quite a bit smaller than the original release. I'd go so far as to say that these figures are near true 25mm scale, as opposed to 28mm. As such, they're usable in the game, but they do stand out when mixed in with the wave 1 models and that's rather a shame. Whatever the reasoning behind the change, it's too bad the scaling doesn't all match.

I also received the scenery box for the game, which has lots of great pieces in it, and will take quite a while to paint up. This pack is definitely worth picking up if you like the base game! Unike everything else from my Sedition Wars collection, I haven't even gotten as far as priming it grey. Even so, it looks really good.

The latest update from Studio McVey about the game was about a month ago. They'd released a beta of the single player rules, which I've not bothered to look at yet. I'll wait until they're 'final' before I bother with them. In the meantime I have a few more wave 2 figures to build and prime, then everything will be playable. I have no idea when I'll get around to actually painting it, but I would like to play some time before year's end.

No comments: