July 07, 2008

Missed out

Other obligations came up and I had to miss out on our last event. I had pretty cool deck put together and was disappointed that I wouldn't get a chance to try it out. It's a really interesting team-up that I wish I could have come up with myself. I found it on VsSystem in an article back in October of last year my Michael Barnes. You can read the article here. I had to make a few substitutions, as I didn't have four copies of a few cards. The most notable one I remember was tossing in the Marvel Knights 4-drop Wolverine. Otherwise it was almost exactly as the deck list there shows.

Happily enough Darren, who was also unable to make it to Friday's event, was able to get together on Sunday. He ran an Avengers deck based on reservists and rallying for equipment like Hulkbuster Armor. After losing three games (the first being the closest), he conceded defeat. It just seemed like luck wasn't on his side, as he seemed to be missing draws and failed a lot of his rally attempts. I will say though...every time he dropped an Ares or flashed a Sentry card at me I started getting pretty nervous. The 6-drop Ares from MUN is freaking scary. (13/12, Range, If the controller of a character in combat with Ares would take an amount of stun endurance loss, instead, he takes twice that amount.) I was playing odd-initiative and got smacked around by that guy more than once; and it stings.

We played a few more games, me with the "Two Gauntlets Blazing" and Darren with his Crime Lords deck. He had a nice combo going with the concealed James Barnes and Death Warrant which caused me enough problems to lose the first game. After I'd seen it once though, I started making plans for getting around it. Of course, after four games I also had a good feel for how my deck ran and what it was capable of doing. And frankly, it's insane, even without getting the Infinity Gauntlet out.

However, I was actually able to get it into play in the 6th and final game. I've run a few decks that try to get the Gauntlet out, but have never been able to pull it off. Darren had just dropped Sleeper and things were looking grim for me, even though he only had one other character on the board. I had my 7-drop Punisher, the Infinity Gauntlet and five of the gems in hand. Checkmate Armory saved my butt, letting me spend that left-over resource to grab another gem, and drop the Gauntlet onto my 6-drop Huntress. She was protecting my 7-drop Sasha, and I had Ahmed and Black Thorn hidden. With the Gauntlet activated it left Darren with one character to my 5. Game over.

Ah if only I could think up crazy stuff like this on my own... Hell, I'd be happy if I could come up with something even half as good! It's a great example of thinking outside the box. ;)

No comments: