April 16, 2009

Game Resources 'n various thoughts

Hey everyone,

The last little while I've been posting up the FAQ documents here for people to have easy reference to. They're mainly for myself though, both as reference, refresher info, and for a sort of archive source as well. Upper Deck's documentation site is hard to navigate and I wouldn't put any money down on the VS System files having a long life over there. I'm trying to find the most up-to-date copy of the Comprehensive Rules Document (CRD) to post up as well, but that may not come for a while yet.

While reading through these documents I couldn't help but think how varied, deep and exciting this game really is. There are just so many strategies and combinations to explore that it seems almost infinite. I still love playing this game, and hope that other around me will want to continue playing for a long long time to come. The gameplay coupled with the staggering array of characters and effect available really set it apart from any other game I've had the pleasure to play.

With that said, I intend to keep our tournament group going as long as possible by providing prizes, alternate formats and new & interesting deck-building challenges. Thus far I have resisted the urge to introduce any house rules or errata. I'd like to keep it that way, but am considering a few and will keep all the players informed through the site here. As long as players keep coming out to play, I'll keep showing up to run events.

On Friday we're playing our very first draft event and I'm really looking forward to it! A few of us had a chance to play a small practice-draft a few weeks ago and it was great fun. I was able to draft a fun and playable deck using only a single rare, a half-dozen uncommons and a team-up I'd have never considered building for real: Defenders / Underworld! That deck was able to win three out of three games, the last of which had a very exciting finish against Harry. After getting me down to zero endurance I was able to play an effect to gain a measly ONE back and push it to the next turn where I was able to turn the tables for victory.

Next up: Alter Ego!

3 comments:

dark121 said...

i'd still show up even if there weren't prize cards. i'll be showing up every tourney till it (hopefully never) dies.

Obsidian3D said...

I've got enough different ideas that I could probably not do the same format again this year...so let's not worry about anything dying. :)

Anonymous said...

hurray! even though i've REALLY enjoyed some of the formats we've already done.