As I mentioned in my last post, I finished a whopping seventeen models last week. That's a personal best, and is likely one I won't be topping any time soon. However, I didn't show all of the models I painted in that article, simply because it didn't make thematic sense to do so.
A few weeks ago I was looking around at Sentry Box, and happened upon a nice little box of figures from Copplestone Castings. I'd heard positive things of the company but never seen any of their models in person. These were really nice, if a bit highly priced at 18-X (don't get me started on Sentry Box's ridiculous pricing scheme...), which on that day was about $19.25. I didn't really know what I was going to do with them at the time, but I couldn't pass on them even at nearly $4 per figure.
Fast forward a few days and I had glued them to some bases; these ones are magnetic 25mm that bought a while ago and simply wanted to try them out. I had a window of pleasant weather and a sizeable batch of figures needing primed so they landed in that pile and ended up with a black primer coat on...then joined dozens of other primed figures on top of my fridge for what I thought would be a long wait.
While painting up the EotD lycaons and bobbies I was sitting around waiting for washes on both batches to dry. I was sort of in the zone (if one can be when painting miniatures) and went looking on the primer board to see what I could hammer through really quickly. Well, here's the result!
Not only were these figures almost zero effort to paint, I think they turned our really top notch. The sculpting isn't spot-on with the T-101 model endoskeleton from the Terminator franchise, but I can live with that. For tabletop purposes they are way more than close enough! The poses are nice, the detailing is great and they painted up in minutes. I also had some fun adding a few little touches on the bases.
This paint scheme is dead easy for anyone who wants to achieve a similar result:
1. Prime the based figures black.
2. Dry brush with GW Boltgun Metal.
3. Pick out the eyes with your favorite bright red.
4. Paint the cables on the thighs and right shoulder with P3 Coal Black.
5. Optionally add a tiny touch of color on their chest using P3 Blighted Gold.
6. Finish off with a lighter dry brush of GW Mithril Silver.
Of course use whatever paint line you've got. You should be able to crank out a batch of these guys (including their bases) in something around an hour, probably less. Not only that, but these figures have already garnered me several compliments from people who've seen them. Being figures immediately recognizable to non-gamers really helps draw attention to them!
I think they'll work very well in a short campaign using Ganesha Games post-apocalypse Mutants and Deathray Guns rules. I already have several beast-men figures so if I paint up some zombies and survivor figures I'm pretty sure I could arrange a game in short order. As for movie figures, I already have a batch of re-based Aliens from the Horrorclix range finished. Come to think of it, might never have posted on here, I'll have to dig them out. Additionally, my set of Horrorclix Predator figures are awaiting bases and some paint touch-ups. I'll see if I can slot them into my schedule sometime soon!
Thanks for stopping by. Please drop some comments below and let me know what you think.