September 17, 2012

Games, Games, Games!

Lots of little bits to share today so let's get started.

One of my favorite card games apparently has a new lease on life! Warlord: Saga of the Storm has been picked up by another developer and will continue. I think this is the third or even fourth incarnation of the game. If you haven't played it I highly recommend picking up a few of the available decks and giving it a go. I'm not sure what the change of hands means to the existing US web store (but I intend to find out as I still have credit there).

Click here to see info about the new developer/publisher/whatever.

In all the miniature stuff I've looked at in the past few months, it never occurred to me to look into a wild west-style skirmish game. That is until I saw some recommendations for a game called Blackwater Gulch. I've only just skimmed through the rules, but it looks quick and easy to play, and best of all the rules are totally free. They can be downloaded on their website and I suggest taking a look at some of their cool looking figure bundles.

Bushido has released new cards and updated rules for their game too. These look streamlined a fair bit from the last edition of the game, but I haven't had a chance to try either one of them yet. You'll need some models for proxies, but the rules and cards for the units are all up for grabs for free here. I love the flavour of this game universe so far, and the game is on my list to try out soon.

Let's see, what else...? Oh yeah, I'll be playing a trial game of Pulp City tonight now that I have enough figures painted up for a game. It'll just be a test to see if I can figure out the action points and combat rules but I'll post my thoughts up here when I have a chance. Also, Pulp Monsters have finally updated their website and it looks pretty good. I haven't dug around it much myself so I can't tell you what they've changed. The biggest upcoming change I've heard so far is that there will be rules for creating your own Supremes, but that's just a rumor so far. Go have a look at the new Pulp City website!

After that I think I'll be focusing on getting some of my starter set figures for Empire of the Dead and Hell Dorado painted up. I've been salivating over the thought of playing those games for a while now.

Mantic Games' Dreadball Kickstarter is still building up momentum. They've opened up three of the four season 2 teams and likely won't end there. With almost two weeks left I imagine they'll hit at least part of the season 3 plans...which I think is Dreadball Extreme. Sounds pretty interesting, I just wish I could get my models sooner so that I can actually play a game or six!

Oh and finally some board games. Yesterday William and I sat down to play some games, both with tons of funny dice in them. The first one was Quarriors. I didn't really like this game the first time I tried it, but I think it's grown on me. It's a quick, fun little game where the dice you acquire serve as monsters, spells and money! Lots of colourful pieces, fun artwork and fast play. Plus I won...that almost never happens, so of course I like the game now.

The other game we played is sort of a re-do of an older game. Tomb: Cryptmaster is a thematic quest game that has players recruiting party members at the local inn, in order to go raid crypts in the tomb for treasure.  It also has to have some of the weirdest custom dice I've ever see...various colours of d10s, with only blank face or axes on them! The rule book stinks, but the game is actually a lot of fun and I'd like to play it again soon. That's not something I would usually say about a dungeon crawl kind of game, so it must be good.

Until next time, may all your dice rolls be...er...axes? Spells? Quiddity? Whatever. Stop reading this and go do something useful!

No comments: