November 15, 2013
Addicted to Attack Wing
Since the release of Star Trek: Attack Wing, any regular visitors to my blog has probably noticed a rather high frequency of posts by me about the game. If anything, that should tell you simply that I think it's a good game. A very good game in fact.
There are several things that I think it has going for it:
1. The universe - Star Trek has been around for decades and has a rich history to pull from, which makes it extremely good for gaming. With new releases every two months, it would still take YEARS to cover off all the ships we've seen on screen, let alone ships like Riker's USS Titan.
2. The engine - WizKids decision to license a proven system for the game was a good one. I feel that this has allowed them to concentrate on building on a good system by truly embracing the subject matter when making changes.
3. The factions - Directly linked to the universe, Star Trek offers numerous factions to explore. Mixing and matching factions is allowable (which I think is not true of X-Wing?). Playing mixed faction or pure, the gamer is provided with near infinite options to customize their experience. Sure it's sort of odd to have Kirk, Khan and Sisko captaining ships together, or Gul Dukat commanding the original Enterprise, but let's face it...stranger things have actually happened in the show.
4. The customizability - As I've touched on above, the sheer number of options available to players is already high, even though we've only seen a single expansion wave following initial release. This will only continue with the release of each wave.
5. Organized Play - The scope of the organized play program for Attack Wing is epic. I've never seen a six-month long plan that offers not only excellent winner prizes, but fantastic participation goodies. In some cases I could and would argue that the participation pieces far outshine the prize ships in terms of utility.
I could go on, but really I think you get the picture.
I'm off now to go troll the internet for more people's strategy, thoughts on fleet builds and custom paint jobs while I wait for the next Wave 2 preview to get posted!